Thursday, November 24, 2011

Be Thankful Tomorrow Too


            I’ve noticed many of my FaceBook friends using their status updates this month to list things that they are thankful for. I’ve enjoyed seeing these posts and I’d like to encourage everyone to make it a habit of doing this all year long. I’ve kept a journal since college and I try to write something every day. Last year I started doing a “gratitude list” at the end of each entry after I got the idea from a book I was reading at the time. Each day, I try to list at least three things that I am grateful for at that moment. Sometimes the items are serious and thoughtful, such as I am thankful that I have a fulfilling relationship, or a supportive partner, or such loving parents. Other times, depending on the day, I’m thankful for chapstick, my pajamas and white wine. Making the lists has definitely helped keep my outlook positive and reminds me that even when things are unpleasant, there is always something to be thankful. I got a flat tire, but at least it didn’t cause an accident. When I hear a co-worker complaining about work, I think “We should all just be thankful that we even have jobs right now”. It’s always easy to focus on the things that aren’t going right, but the law of attraction says that like attracts like, so whatever you are thinking about and spending your energy on is what you attract to yourself. It might sound hokey at first but if you really think about it, it makes sense.
            So I challenge you to give it a try. Keep a little notebook, and each day take a few minutes to jot down a few things that you have appreciated or that have brought you joy during your day. It will make you see that there really is so much to be thankful for every day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment