Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Weekly Writing Challenge: A Few Of My Favorite Things


                                                    
     I have a large tattoo of a goldfish on my left arm, an oranda goldfish to be exact. People often ask me "Why a goldfish?" and my answer is always the same "Because I really like goldfish". I've liked them as long as I can remember and had many as a kid. For the past 12 years, I've had a tank of goldfish at all times, in every place I've lived, sometimes a small 10 gallon tank in a studio apartment, currently a 75 gallon in my living room. Watching the fish swim often provided me with more entertainment than prime time TV. They've been a constant in my life and a source of joy.



 I've loved rainbows ever since learning about ROY G BIV in grade school. I think it was one of the first times I realized that I enjoy science. I'm sure I've seen more rainbows in the years I've lived in Montana than I have in the rest of my life combined. Each one is amazing and beautiful, no matter how faint or small. I almost always run outside to look and usually take a picture.







I remember having strep throat at Easter as a kid and being devastated because my throat was so painful I couldn't even eat one single jelly bean. I'm convinced I have a chemical addiction to sugar but I've never been motivated to do anything about it because I enjoy candy so much. All through high school and college, classmates would whisper "Pssst...Ramona, do you have any candy?" because they knew I'd have something stashed away in my bag. Same goes for my desk drawer at work now. My boss' three year old daughter is even wise to me "Mommy, I want some candy" she says when she's in my office. We're pals. I've definitely scaled back as I've gotten older. If I'm consuming the extra calories, I want to be sure it's worth it. That means no yellow or orange candies and no dark chocolate.
This is me eating the "world's longest gummy worm" in Las Vegas a few years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment