Sunday, October 7, 2012

A Little Bit Of Relief

   
     Earlier this week we received our first snow of the season and I'm pretty sure I heard the entire state of Montana breathe a collective sigh of relief. It's not that I'm in a hurry for winter to get here, but we've had a particularly hot dry summer that resulted in a dangerously long fire season. While the sudden drop in temperature takes a while to get used to, it's nice to have a change of scenery and wardrobe. It's time for jeans and hooded sweatshirts, almost time for hats and gloves. It feels good after several months of wearing out the same few pairs of shorts and t-shirts. I really enjoy this brief time of year when there is snow on the mountains but not yet here in the valley. The white mountains look stunning contrasted against the sky and dried grasses. In just a matter of weeks it will all be white and stay that way for what will feel like forever and then we'll be anxious to see the grass again in the spring. I enjoy living in Montana more than I ever thought I would. While the weather can be harsh, there is always a change to look forward to.  The mountains may stay the same but they always look different to me, some days hidden by the clouds or snow capped & bright in the sun. I never get tired of looking at them.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment