Thursday, October 4, 2012

Weekly Photo Challenge: Mine


About three months ago I joined a roller derby team. I was looking to enrich my life, round it out a bit. I needed something in my life that wasn't my job or my home. It's something that has been on my bucket list for as long as I can remember but I never thought I had it in me and didn't know how to go about getting started. This past spring, the universe starting sending me little messages and I decided I was going for it. So I talked to a couple girls who are on the team, checked out a practice and then signed up. In just a short time, roller derby has pushed me and challenged me more than anything else ever has. I've never been an athlete, never played a team sport. But I do now. It's been a bit slow going. I've watched some team mates breeze past me to pass the skills tests and move on to advanced levels but I'm still chugging along, and I know I'll get there when the time is right for me. I have an entire new group of friends, a new skill set and a new wardrobe. It's all mine alone and has already made me a stronger person in so many ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment