Tuesday, March 19, 2013

You Know What They Say...

      Over the past few days, one of my childhood friends passed away and another one gave birth to a baby girl. I've found myself thinking in cliches, inserting "life is short" into conversations. I've had that Byrd's song stuck in my head "To everything (Turn! Turn! Turn!), There is a season (Turn! Turn! Turn!)".  I've been pondering my existence, asking myself what have I done with my life? Or not done? Or have to show for my 34 years on this planet? It's left me exhausted and grasping to right my world again.
       One thing that has been undeniably clear to me these days is how thankful I am for FaceBook. That's probably not what one would expect to hear as a response to my contemplation of The Universe. Both of the amazing women I mentioned were classmates of mine from elementary through high school. I'd lost touch with them both but about five years ago, we found each other through FaceBook and I consider them "real" friends. They both have been loving and supportive as I've faced challenges and successes in recent years. For the past week, I'd been checking FaceBook non-stop, waiting for news of the baby's birth and instead, first received the news of a different nature. I'll admit it's a strange beast, FaceBook, but I don't think people give it enough credit. I know my life is different and fuller thanks to all the people I've reconnected with that never would have crossed my path again.
         As I pounded through my run today, I looked around and thought,I have it pretty darn good. The things that were a big deal on Saturday suddenly weren't a big deal anymore compared with the sad news I received on Sunday. I don't know the answers to the great questions of life. I do know most of the cliches are true. Life is what you make it. What have I done with my life? I don't really know how to answer that, but I've been reminded that every day truly is a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment