Tuesday, March 12, 2013

An Update

I haven't posted many blog entries this year, which is ironic since one of my New Year's Resolutions was to write every day. The funny thing is I have been writing every day, which I hadn't done in a long time.  At the beginning of this year, I bought a book for writers that includes a daily prompt. It gives me  a different topic to write about each day, for example "You're in a tent" or "Write about saying goodbye". The idea is to go with the first thought that pops into your head and continue writing for as long as you can. I usually set my kitchen timer for 30 minutes and don't put my pencil down til it dings. When I first got the book, I did a couple writing sessions and thought "This is awesome! I'm going to get so many blog posts out of this!" and I think I will... eventually. The process has turned out to be a bit different than I expected. With my daily writing exercises, I'm doing some really good work, but also some bad work and most of it falls somewhere in between. Because my writing style is pretty consistently first person non-fiction essay, much of what I write is fairly personal and a lot of that is not quite ready for public viewing yet. The cool thing is that these exercises are reminding me of some awesome experiences I've had and stories that I'd like to share. That's part of the reason I like participating in the photo challenges as well. It allows me to pull a single moment of time, one special memory, and tell its story. It's only been two months, but already I like to flip through my spiral notebook of daily writing and see where my thoughts go. I can't wait to see what I have at the end of the year. Hopefully the fruits of my labor will be showing up on this site soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment