Sunday, July 1, 2012

Something To Think About

            Last weekend I went to see “Seeking A Friend For the End of the World” and I’m still thinking about it. It was by far my favorite movie I’ve seen in a long time and that says a lot. I thought it was an absolutely beautiful film, so much so that I’m tempted to go see it again which is pretty rare for me.
            The funny thing is, when I told my boyfriend I was still thinking about the movie almost a week later, he said “So am I…” and looked a bit nauseous. He liked the film but it affected him in a very different way.
            The premise is: there’s an asteroid approaching Earth and everything will be destroyed in three week’s time. The movie counts down over those 21 days showing mankind’s true colors, in my opinion. The characters are fantastic and the story is lovely, considering the circumstances. There are some great moments of humor as everyone tries to make the best of their last days. Of course you can’t help but wonder what would really happen in that situation, and I think that’s what makes my boyfriend queasy. It’s not a fun thing to think about or to watch other people deal with, even in a fictional setting. It is not a feel good movie, but that’s what I like about it. I think it was a pretty bold move to make a movie like this and I’m glad they did. Instead of making me feel scared or ill, it kinda woke me up a little bit and it really has me thinking about things I had never considered before.  

No comments:

Post a Comment