Monday, April 4, 2016

Carry On, Warrior by Glennon Doyle Melton



When my friend Melissa, who I've known since high school, tells me "This book reminds me of you," I know not to take her lightly. When she recommended Carry On, Warrior to me, it was pretty new and I'd never heard of Glennon or her blog, Momastery.  It took me about a year to get my hands on a copy (from my library) and I was barely 20 pages in til I was kicking myself, Why did I wait so long to read this book?!?!

One thing I love about reading is how it connects us to the writer's soul. Every so often I encounter a book that makes me think The person who wrote this is my kindred spirit! Not only is the writing so freaking good, but it reaches me in a way the rest of the things I read don't. Glennon is one of these writers (as is Mary Karr, Ann Patchett, John Irving, Elizabeth Gilbert, David Sedaris.) I read this book and I wanted to read every word she's ever written and be her friend!


As a writer myself, there's something extraordinary about the moment when I encounter another person's written words that make me say Yes! Yes! This is what I want to write! It's inspiration, but it's mostly a feeling of belonging, a feeling of I'm not the only one who feels this way so I should write my story. Glennon writes her truth, which is not always pretty, or funny, or easy to stomach. That reminds me I'm not alone in my struggles, and it unites those of us with similar stories/desires/hearts.

This is a book I go back to over and over for reminders. My copy full of sticky notes and highlighted passages. I consider it a guide book for life!

In an essay titled On Weaving and Repentence, Glennon talks about how when she first married, she experienced  her husband's family "as an unfamiliar culture." That hit home for me. I read this years before I married my husband, but we'd been together for a few years and I was struggling to find my place in his large family, after spending my entire life in my small one. She reminds us to think of our mother-in-law's family as a special rug she has been weaving. This particular passage is exactly what I needed: "And Daughters-in-law, notice the beauty of the rug your mother-in-law spent a lifetime weaving. Remember that her pattern is mostly firmly established - no need to suggest improvements. Be kinder than necessary, being mindful that the piece of art it took her a lifetime to weave - her masterpiece - she gave to you, to keep you warm at night." That gave me permission to not worry about all the little BS when I go to my mother-in-law's house. Also, it gave me the permission I needed to have boundaries and traditions in my own home that are mine.

I now follow Glennon on social media and frequently visit her website. She is one of my personal Gurus! She leads by example, being honest and vulnerable, showing love and kindness. Check her out at momastery.com.





7 comments:

  1. I love her blog and was clueless about her having written other things! Adding to my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'd send you my copy but I don't want to part with it! I'll keep my eye out for one for you. I'm super excited for her new memoir, coming out in August.

      Delete
  2. Wow, this sounds really good. I think I may give it a try. I love that image about the rug. It's so simple, but says so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too came from a small family and married into a large family. I don't think my mother-in-law wove a rug. I think she made a crazy quilt. Everyone could add their own patch or own embroidery. She was the ideal mother-in-law, never interfering, never judging.
    Repaying the visit from AtoZ
    Wendy
    Jollett Etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of this book. But the Carry On part of the title makes me think of all those reassuring Keep Calm, Carry On signs that I see everywhere now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete