Wednesday, July 10, 2013

It's One Of Those Days

On day ten of the Ultimate Blogging Challenge, I feel as if I've hit a wall. I'm not feeling well, it's scorching hot outside, and I'm anxious about the fact that I have to post today for the challenge even though I don't feel like it. I have a friend who is a musician and while suffering from writer's block, he managed to write a song about having writer's block. (It's catchy too!) I don't exactly have writer's block because I've started several posts today. It's more like motivation block. I have ideas and I'm attempting to write, I just can't seem to push through and finish or I don't like what I come up with.

Everything I've read and heard about the craft of writing basically comes down to the importance of writing every day and understanding that some of the stuff you write won't be good. When I saw my favorite writer, David Sedaris, give a reading he talked about how one of the stories was in it's 19th draft. I write most days in some form, sometimes it's essays or blogging and sometimes it's personal journaling. I have days when I don't write but they're few and far between. I definitely have days where I wouldn't want to make my writing public and today just happens to be one of those days. I had hoped I could post something I've previously written or salvage one of the ones I've been working on but it's just not happening today. I don't like it, but considering that it's after 7pm already, I don't think yelling in my head "WRITE SOMETHING WRITE SOMETHING WRITE SOMETHING!!" is working. Nothing makes my creativity stall out like trying to force myself to do it. I should know that by now!

And so, somehow I've managed to write a post about not being able to write a post. That actually makes me feel better!

No comments:

Post a Comment