Saturday, April 6, 2013

F is for Food


I get teased at work for being so serious about food, almost like it's a disability. My co-workers once left a moldy container of leftovers in the fridge, thinking it was something of mine and fearing my response if someone threw out food I later went looking for. I certainly can't help the fact that if I'm hungry for too long I lose the ability to function properly. I also see it as a blessing that I get so much joy from a favorite food, because sometimes during a long hectic work day that's the only break I get.

I know some people who just like to eat, no matter what it is. For me, it's the specific food itself that satisfies me, physically and emotionally. For example, if I'm wanting home made macaroni & cheese a store bought substitute won't do. If I'm starving, just about anything will fill that actual need for food but typically I'm still left craving something.

I find a lot of comfort and happiness in making and eating foods from my childhood and the region where I grew up (Pennsylvania Dutch Country). I enjoy cooking with my partner and the fact that we make    most of our meals from scratch with fresh ingredients. I also like to indulge in junk food every now and then because let's be honest, sometimes simply nothing else will do.

I've heard other people use the word "hangry" so I know I'm not the only one who experiences these feelings. We all have to eat to survive so I'm glad I get to enjoy it, even it means I get crabby when I can't eat what I want!


                             

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you have a very healthy relationship with food, which is pretty rare! Good for you. Now go eat something yummy and I will too.

    ReplyDelete