Thursday, April 25, 2013

V is for Vegetables

Even though it's late April, it's still not quite spring here in Montana. As is usual for this time of year, my house is full of seedling plants waiting to be transplanted into the ground once it's warm enough. Gardening in Montana is hard work. The growing season is short, summers are harsh and particularly where I live, the soil is not great. But despite all that, it's worth it to us because there really is something special about eating vegetables that you grew yourself. There are so many benefits I get from spending that time outdoors caring for the plants and harvesting. I like weeding the garden barefoot and eating tomatoes and peas right off the vine. There's nothing like it! Fresh veggies are great all summer long but it feels extra good when it's the middle of winter and we're eating eating tomato sauce, salsa and jam that was made with our harvest. We've given some of our preserved foods away as Christmas gifts and it always seems to bring people joy.

Every once in a while, I run across a person who says they don't like vegetables. It always surprises me because I eat so many that I can't imagine what I'd be eating without them. I've never been a picky eater and I've always liked veggies and eaten them readily. Sure there are a few on my Least Favorite list but I'll eat just about anything!


No comments:

Post a Comment