Thursday, April 9, 2015

H is for Humor




I love to laugh. Especially that rolling, uncontrollable laughter that you can't stop even if you try. I like when I laugh at something without even having the thought that's it's funny first. I like to laugh until my abs are sore, until my eyes are watering. I love being around people who can make me laugh a lot. My closest friends are those with whom I share my juvenile sense of humor. 

When it comes to movies, I prefer comedies over other genres. If I'm going to spend 2+ hours of my life watching a film, I want to be entertained. I don't want to be scared or sad or have to think too much. I like other movies at times, but a good, silly comedy is best-think Austin Powers or classic Will Ferrell and Adam Sandler. The goofier, the better!




I have learned that finding humor in difficult situations helps make them bearable. This is part of what inspires me to be a non-fiction writer. I believe that if I tell my story of getting fired, or divorced, or concussed, in a humorous light, I can bring a bit of hope to someone else in a similar spot who may not have seen the humor yet. 

My favorite writer, David Sedaris, is the champion of this. He can tell a story from his less than idyllic childhood, or an awkward social interaction that makes the reader cringe and laugh at the same time. This is what I aspire to as a writer!

I'll admit it's not always possible to laugh at our hardships as we face them. Sometimes it takes weeks/months/years to be able to look back on something and say "Okay, that was funny." But I believe it's important that we're able to do it eventually, to laugh at our blunders and failed attempts. Even if it doesn't deter my next blunder, it reminds me to think Hey, at least this will make for a funny story later!







3 comments:

  1. You are on my list to check if you are being part of the A to Z Challenge.

    THANK YOU for being up to the letter "H"...
    Jeremy [Retro]
    AtoZ Challenge Co-Host [2015]

    There's no earthly way of knowing.
    Which direction we are going!

    HOLLYWOOD NUTS!
    Come Visit: You know you want to know if me or Hollywood... is Nuts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that picture of you in the black dress and the one of Ritz in costume. They make me laugh too. Great way to start the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, perhaps will indeed look back in a few decades and laugh our asses off at who we are today. I sure hope so! Great post, friend.

    ReplyDelete