Monday, April 27, 2015

W is for Writing


Glennon Doyle Melton is one of my favorite bloggers (momastery.com) and general all around motivational humans. On the subject of writing, she says "When you write your truth, it is a love offering to the world because it helps us feel braver and less alone."

That line stuck with me like crazy glue from the second I read it. It struck me as so utterly true because it sums up the feelings I've had for years about why I write and also why I read avidly. The potential for connection with others when I share my writing is endless. I get comments and messages regularly from people who relate to what I write about or simply enjoy reading what I write. Either way, it's incredible! 

Last summer, I was being treated for food poisoning at our nearest urgent care facility (Avoid meat on a stick at outdoor festivals, folks.) My other half was in the waiting area and heard an elderly lady start telling her husband positive things about a magazine article she'd read that day about an animal rescue group in a neighboring state. I wrote that article! I wish I hadn't been suffering miserably in the next room, but I still think it's super cool that was overheard!

I've kept a journal almost daily since I was eighteen. Writing is a part of who I am. I shelf recently filled journals on my desk but I have a big box of old ones that have stored in a closet. Every time I move, I lug them along. For the most part, they just stay in the closet but I've consulted them occasionally for a piece I was working on and once for a legal matter! Sometimes it's nice to be able to verify dates and events as I recorded them.

Kermit sits above my filled journals

It was only in the past couple of years that I began to say "I am a writer" with confidence,  instead of "I want to be a writer." I've been one all my life, always able to BS my way through a book report or essay question! I frequently encounter people who say "I've always wanted to be a writer," or "People tell me I should write a book." I've even taken writing classes with folks who want to write regularly but for whatever reason aren't able to make it a regular practice in their lives. To all of those people, I say: Just write!

What I've learned in my life is that it's so important to just write it down, whatever it is. Regardless of what you feel you need to get down on paper, whether it's your life story or your To Do List! 
Writing by hand is a completely different process than typing. I write everything by hand before I transfer it to my blog or a Word document. I like a specific brand of pencil and notebook to write and  I need to be sitting upright at a flat surface. This is how I work best!

The experience of writing is different for everyone and I recommend to anyone. Treat yourself to a brand new notebook and start by keeping a journal or even just a gratitude list. Allow yourself to write whatever you feel the urge to put onto the paper. I promise you will surprise yourself!





2 comments:

  1. Shelly SchitzerpantzApril 28, 2015 at 7:31 PM

    Well done!
    One day I'll be able to sit down, uninterrupted, unmolested, etc and be able to do something simple like: just writing the feelings I have spiraling around endlessly in my head onto paper.
    I know that's a solution to a LOT of the out of control craziness I feel. I used to write ALL of my thoughts/feelings onto paper, in a notebook, and then burn the notebook once it was full.
    I'd burn them because NO WAY would I/could I EVER leave *those* journals lying around for anyone to read... you're far more brave than I am!!
    Writing about positive feelings, gratitude journals, inspiring quotes, etc -- those could sit around. In fact, that's one that I've started.
    Ironically, I don't and haven't had much time to write in it. It's taken me a half an hour just to write THIS.
    The kid is climbing all over me, and has smacked, or knocked my phone out of my hand too many times to count.
    I wish Calgon was real...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had other people tell me they burn their journals once they're full. I think that's part of the therapy of it! I know it's hard for you to find time to write now. Try making your gratitude list in your head each morning/evening!

    ReplyDelete