Friday, April 17, 2015

O is for Outside


When I moved in Montana in 2007, I was seeking change and a fresh start. I got much more than I bargained for!

Montana has changed me in ways both physical and non. I'm stronger and more independent. I appreciate solitude and nature, and enjoy a slower pace to my lifestyle.

The most valuable lesson Montana has taught me is that sometimes, I just need to get outside!






There is a power and energy that comes with being out in nature that cannot be replicated any other way. The serenity that I find while riding a chairlift is something I have not experienced elsewhere. Being suspended above the earth, gliding through the tress during a lightly falling snow, is incredible. Hiking to a mountain peak and viewing the entire valley that is my home is invigorating. Living in a place that provides me with the opportunity to have honest to goodness adventures on a regular basis was something I hadn't considered when I moved here. I'm glad I didn't have any preconceived notions about this aspect of my lifestyle because I was able to discover  activities that I enjoy without being on a search for them.



Being outside doesn't always have to be an epic adventure. Sometimes it's as simple as a walk through the neighborhood with my dogs or sitting beside my backyard pond. For me it's about taking breaths, maybe getting my heart rate up, and feeling sunshine (or snow or rain!) What it comes down to is feeling alive!





I came upon this video on YouTube a couple years ago and fell in love with it immediately. Not only do I adore Jason Mraz and anything Muppet related, I appreciate the message the song is sending. It's sweet and fun but also important.



What does being outside do for you? What are your favorite ways to enjoy nature?






6 comments:

  1. Can I say how much I LOVE your writing???? I am so glad you are posting these! I will write you a facebook message sometime because I can relate so much with everything you say! Reading your blog makes me smile :) :) :) :)
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I love that picture of you running through the woods. I agree with you about all of this. Outside is the best place to be when I need to center myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love being outside. The lake looks beautiful. I'm Cher'ley with Writing Wranglers and Warriors and I'm doing the a to z challengehttps://writingwranglersandwarriors.wordpress.com/2015/04/17/o-is-for-ornery-by-cherley/comment-page-1/#comment-16034,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Montana seems like a cool place, I'd like to visit sometime into the future and experience all that your countryside has to offer.

    I'm Spacerguy trekking through on the A to Z challenge quest seeking out new awesome people. Live Long and Prosper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much! I truly appreciate that you read and can relate. That's what keeps me going and writing more! I look forward to your FB message!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Montana has a way of doing that to people :) I loved the eight years we lived there; I didn't spend a lot of time outdoors but gorgeous state (cold but gorgeous :)
    betty

    ReplyDelete