Saturday, April 5, 2014

Everything by Alanis Morissette

This is the only song on my list that has fallen into favor with me fairly recently. In fact, Everything was not the E song I initially decided on when I started working on this project last fall. That was Escape by Rupert Holmes (also known as The Pina Colada song) which is a cool song but besides the fact that I enjoy it, there's no real significance there for me. 

Although I consider myself an Alanis fan, I'm more familiar with her earlier work and I'd never heard this song until a few months ago. I was carpooling to a temp job one morning when I heard the opening line in Alanis'  familiar voice from the tinny speakers of the company mini van: "I can be an asshole of the grandest kind" and I leaned forward in my seat to be sure I didn't miss a single word. I downloaded the song when I got home that evening and it's been on my regular playlist every since. Once again I was struck by how perfectly Alanis can sum up my feelings about being a woman, specifically the overwhelming appreciation I feel for my partner. 

Until now, I'd never been in a romantic relationship that felt completely mutual. All my other couplings seemed to involve one person giving, liking, loving, wanting at least a little more than the other. Sometimes that would shift back and forth in the same relationship, but I never truly felt like I was on the same page with the other person at all times. 

I've recently told my other half that he is with the best me that I have ever been. I truly believe that, but in order for me to be getting to this place he has supported me through a couple dark times and transition periods. He's lifted me up and had faith in me when I wasn't quite able to do that for myself. I have never had a romantic partner be willing to make the sacrifices for me that he has made. This song honed in on all of that immediately and worded it perfectly. I'm happy to have a new song to add to my list of favorites, especially from an artist who means so much to me already and obviously knows what it's like to go through some of the things that I have. 




6 comments:

  1. Ah, Ramona you did it again. This is a PERFECT song choice. ((I DO love "Escape" also!!))
    I think I cried the first time I *really* listened to "Everything." It was background noise, with everything else, when it first came out. I never truly "leaned in" to listen to it until two years ago.
    It resonated with me for the friends and family who stood by my side over the previous 8-9yrs (2003-2012.) That time frame included a failed engagement one month before the scheduled ceremony with person A, and then an unhealthy marriage/divorce to person B. This song made me feel, it made me appreciate, it made it "okay" to know "I've gone thru some shit & I've been a miserable asshole a lot of those years...and yet these people have remained a constant in both my light & dark moments. I love them. I'll be okay, because I have them."
    Thank You, Alanis-- for writing another ballad for the "My Life" soundtrack of so many women. We love you!

    Ramona, much like yourself, back in the day--Alanis Morissett's "Jagged Little Pill" was the first cd where I actually loved EVERY song...so she's gained my respect.
    Thank you again, Ramona, for another awesome article! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is great to read that your relationship is something that you value so much and that is doing so much for. I'd never heard this song before, like you, I am familiar with Alanis' earlier stuff, but not this one. I love the video :)

    Sophie

    Sophie's Thoughts & Fumbles - A to Z Ghosts

    Fantasy Boys XXX - A to Z Drabblerotic

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an incredible gift to be in such an equal relationship. And even more incredible that you can enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you like it too. Thanks for another thoughtful response! As I've said, music has provided me with great comfort during all those rough times. I am so grateful that you and others are interested in reading what I write because it is therapeutic for me to be able to share these stories. There's another Alanis song coming up later!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad I was able to introduce you to a new song of hers and that you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said! I agree that we try to hide our dark sides but at some point during a long relationship (romantic or otherwise) it usually comes out anyway! That's when people tend to bail bail, so to find someone who sticks around is a gift!

    ReplyDelete