Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Zero by The Smashing Pumpkins

As I mentioned last week, The Smashing Pumpkins were a significant part of my angsty teenage years. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness came out in 1995 and I'm pretty sure I didn't take it out of my CD player for at least five years. It was absolutely gorgeous to look at and the songs encompassed every mood I'd ever felt in my 17 years on the planet. 

Zero is a song from my "angry playlist", for when I'm pissed off or generally fired up about something. The guitars are non-stop, intense and fierce. Billy Corgan's voice is one that is quite recognizable and I think his style here is perfectly clear. It's the classic Smashing Pumpkins sound that I love so much.  

When I listen to it all these years later, the lyric that stands out most for me is "Intoxicated with the madness, I'm in love with my sadness".  It sums up that 90's alternative rock so beautifully. I think this is how I felt for most of the 90's, actually! 

I'll never get tired of listening to The Smashing Pumpkins. Their songs contain a lot of emotion and memories for me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment