Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Motorcycle Drive By by Third Eye Blind

This is a song that has gotten me through a lot of tough times, romantic break ups and falling outs with friends. The times I moved and started over, I got strength from this song. It starts out slow, quiet and sad, contemplative but then builds suddenly become fast and fierce, crashing and angry. It's a lot like those transitions in my life could be, back and forth between calm and raging.

I've always loved this line: "And there's this burning like there's always been. I've never been so alone and I've never been so alive". Sometimes there's a relief that can come with a break up that you weren't anticipating and it can flood you with a sense of freedom. I've experienced it a couple of times. I've been glad to be rid of someone yet miss them at the same time and then be angry because I miss them. It's the same thing here: "And this is the last time we'll be friends again. I'll get over you. You won't know who I am." I can't tell you how many times I've screamed that line! There have been a couple times, at the end of a long relationship or after living in one place for many years, that I sensed that I'd changed a lot since the beginning but I needed to get away in order to complete the transformation.

This song can probably mean something different to everyone based on their life experiences and I think that's cool. I like that the singer is going through those emotions and phases during the song. Many of Third Eye Blind's songs are like that for me. I enjoy them because they come across as extremely genuine.






1 comment:

  1. One of my favorites. Going to listen to it now!

    ReplyDelete